Monday, September 25, 2017

The Megyn Kelly Plan

Today, former Fox News all-star and Donald Trump advisor Megyn Kelly debuted her morning show/segment/whever on NBC, ready to complete her makeover from bitter MILFish icon of conservative propaganda to a mid-morning MILFish matron for middle America.

As many of you know, Kelly is a proud graduate of Albany Law School (the number one law school between NYC and the border!).  Like many Albany graduates, she's making millions each year, albeit in a slightly different field than most lawyers.

That isn't to say she doesn't have advice for would-be attorneys.  Just check out this sage career wisdom that - apparently - many of you are missing.
In her memoir released last year, "Settle for More," Kelly described how she landed her first job as a lawyer fresh out of law school in 1995, and she offered advice for anyone applying for a new job in any field.

"I did something all job applicants should do — I asked for the job," she wrote. "I told them that if they extended an offer, I would accept it on the spot, that I had done the research and investigation, and this was where I wanted to be."
...
"Don't underestimate the power this message can have on a potential employer," Kelly wrote. "Everyone likes to be flattered. Of course it works better if it's true."
She, a simple third-tier K-JDer, parlayed that job into a nine-year run at Jones Day followed by landing a gig at Fox News.

So, kids, what's your problem?  Why are you bitching about $40k jobs in Boston with many applicants?

Maybe you could start with something as simple as your cover letter.  Are YOU telling prospective employers you're desperate enough to accept on the spot?  If not, what are you waiting for? 

Your spot at Fox News may be waiting.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like some garbage career advice that "ethicist" Jack Marshall would give to new lawyers.

    I once told a potential employer that I was fully willing to take a positon at 50% their standard offer rate for new associates, but they never got back to me. I guess I didn't ask hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I told Jones Day that I wanted to be there, too. I must not have done enough research and investigation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another Jones Day success story. http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20110509/PRINTEDITION/305099989. There seems to be a pattern but I can't quite put my finger on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice from Megyn Kelly! Another piece of advice: Make sure that your father is the Governor of NY State. We can call it the Andrew Cuomo Plan.

    ReplyDelete